I have had a great week. We had a 24/7 week of prayer. It was a really cool experience a lot good things were written down and thrown all over the walls of our prayer room. The times of prayer coupled with the book "What's So Amazing About Grace" made for some really cool growth this week.
I had a really cool time with the boys at youth group this week. There were some non-regulars and kids who weren't diggin the whole youth group scene. We started off with some games that night and there were these two kids there standing out side the door. Their friends were inside playing games and laughing but they stayed outside because they didn't want to be a part of the activities, they just wanted to chill with friends. I went over to them and got them inside. We sat at the back during the talk and I tried my best to keep them quiet. They were giving me a bit of a hard time but all that I could think of that night was one word, grace. I had been reading about it and even experiencing all week and wanted to make it practical. No deep progress was made with those boys that night. I found out that they thought our youth tried to convert them and they preferred the other youth group where they just play games. I am starting to gain an understanding of what these guys are like but this will take time. It was good just to sit and chill for a few minutes.
I had to leave the two new boys to go to my small group discussion. They boys in our group were especially rowdy that night. They were making jokes, defying any instruction we gave them and not even trying to pay attention. My leaders and I were growing short of patience but one word kept running through my head, grace. I sat there just listening to the boys for a few minutes waiting for an idea of what to do while the other leaders struggled to maintain a focused conversation. I knew that we were wasting time and I wanted to make use of it. Finally one boy, trying to justify the actions of the group, gave me my window of opportunity. His words were, "We're guys, we're supposed to be idiots." I confronted them right there. I asked them why they thought that and who told them this was the truth. After a few more attempts to continue the chaos, the boys finally settled down and listened. I was able to talk to them about being a respectable man of God and about sticking to what you believe in. They boys sat for ten minutes straight taking it in. The words spoke of more truth than I could ever compose and God was able to say something really cool to these guys through me.
That night was also one the boys birthday. I promised him that I would take him into town and buy him a birthday booster juice. I got the chance to just hang out with Stevie G., this boy and his friend for a few hours and it was so cool. I had a sick time and I could tell they did too. I am trying to hangout with these guys more because I am starting to see past their little show into the young men they are growing up to be. Apart from just being fun, these guys seem to have some serious questions and I can't wait to see how the next little while allows me to hang out with these guys and get to know them even more.
I would ask that you pray for myself and the rest of Kaleo as we are in the midst of Church ministry class. The work load is easing up a bit since x-mas is just around the corner but we still need to get plenty of stuff done. Also pray for the boys in my youth. God's opening up some cool doors so just pray that they don't shut me off but they embrace the chance to ask some tough questions. Alright, well have a good week everyone.
Cheers,
Tim

No comments:
Post a Comment